In this Article
- Precautions to Take While Exercising During the Second Trimester of Pregnancy
- Exercises You Can Do in the Second Trimester
Week 13 to 28, or months 4 to 6, of your pregnancy comes under the second trimester. This is a period where you can finally start feeling that the pregnancy is real! The second trimester carries along with it new energy that you may not have felt in the beginning. Nausea, exhaustion, and anxiety take a back seat during this period, which makes it a perfect period to undergo some physical exercises.
Precautions to Take While Exercising During the Second Trimester of Pregnancy
Owing to the delicacy of the pregnancy period, safety and the urge to not take risks should be your priority. For the same reasons, a few precautions should be kept in mind while doing physical exercises in your pregnancy’s second trimester. Some of these precautions are listed below.
- One should consider avoiding exercises that may carry along risk of falling.
- Stop exercising in case you experience abdominal pain or vaginal discharge.
- Maintain a healthy and a supervised diet to keep you all charged up for undergoing physical activity.
- Do not exercise too much. Exerting yourself beyond your limits is something that is not at all recommended.
- Avoid physical exercises, where jumping, balancing, changing sides or risk of jerks is involved.
- Consider doing light exercises, specifically those where your heart rate does not increase rapidly.
- On a normal day, exercise for about 30 minutes. Exercising 3 to 5 times a week is quite enough.
- Refrain from any kind of physical exercise in case your pregnancy has any complications.
- A test termed as ‘talk test’ assures whether your exercise is normal or intensified. While exercising, if you cannot make normal conversation and you breathe too heavily, exercising is not a good option as it could be quite intense for you. Take this test and make sure that you exercise normally and in a less intense way.
- Women who have a history of heart disease, asthma or even diabetes, should consider exercise only after consultation with the doctor, as there could be complications that arise.
Exercises You Can Do in the Second Trimester
Pregnancy workouts in the second trimester that are normal and considered safe include:
Walking is the simplest of exercises that can be done on a daily basis for about 30 to 40 minutes. Walking ensures that your body is not sedentary and also keeps your heart healthy. Keep moving your arms too while walking. Do not walk in a brisk manner as this may lead to more exertion than required.
2. Slow Jogging
Jogging is another good exercising option that will help you keep fit. Jogging should be preferred only on flat surfaces as you easily maintain a pace on it without getting tired. In case you feel tired while jogging, do not continue; sit immediately and relax for a while. You can also prefer running on a treadmill, but with controlled speed.
Yoga is the safest of all exercises, as it helps you stay fit and also helps to better your mood. In case you are a pro at practising yoga, continue the way you are doing now, but avoid positions that could hurt you in any way. Practice more of breathing exercises and other simpler movements or poses that can be easily carried off.
If you are new to yoga and have not been practising it before, consider getting some guidance through video lessons, or join yoga classes.
4. Stationary Cycling
Exercising on a stationary bike is the best option to improve muscle strength, and move from place to place while exercising too. When you are in your second trimester, your belly starts growing and this is the time you actually shouldn’t put a lot of stress on your abdomen. Sitting on an exercise bike and cycling may prove to be the best exercising option for you during this period.
Swimming is another great option for women in their pregnancy. Swimming in the pool would help you relax and get all the me-time you need. You can also consider practising some swimming exercises in which no exertion on the abdomen is involved. Swimming for about 30 minutes is generally recommended for women in second-trimester pregnancy.
Stretch your feet wide apart while standing. Extend your arms in front of your eyes at your shoulder level. Squat down, i.e. move your bottom in the downward direction, keeping your feet upright in one position. Try to stay in that bent position for about 3-4 seconds and then lift up. Repeat the exercise and remember to not bend completely and keep your knees in place. Also, breathe out when you bend down and breathe in when you lift up.
7. One Arm Row
Place your right knee on a chair and keep your other foot on the floor itself. Bend down towards the chair and keep your right hand on the chair’s seat. Now, with the other hand, pick up weights according to your capacity and start lifting it up and down. Do it for about 15 minutes, then repeat the exercise after changing sides. Remember not to lift extremely heavy weights as this may lead to exerting more than required.
The above mentioned prenatal exercises for second-trimester pregnancy are considered safe. Always remember to check with your doctor and let them know about your exercises, and keep in mind to not exert yourself.
Also Read: Exercises to Avoid During Pregnancy